Saturday 21 February 2015

Surviving half term - the penultimate

A Saturday in half term; so no ballet! No streetdance! No tap!  The chance to stay in  bed.  Or get up early and make everyone breakfast and miss out on coffee with the ballet mums.  I am never happy.

We decided to clean the house and catch up on the washing. That may have been my decision.

It was however a no cost day.  Pip and her friend made peg dollies and I put the entire contents of her bedroom into bin bags.

I rearranged her room, and once she has been through every bin bag and decided what she cannot do without she can slowly add it back to her room.

For dinner I had vegetable chili from the remnants of a huge batch I made for friends and froze.

This was made in the slow cooker with sweet potatoes that I roasted first.

Asda sweet potatoes £1.15 per kg so 60p
Asda frozen onions 85p for 500g so about 30p
Asda tinned tomatoes 31p for 400g so 62p
Tesco kidney beans in chilli sauce 295g for 65p
Asda baked beans 410 g for 32p
Asda garlic 25p a bulb so about 5p
Total cost £2.54 which served at least 5.

And my final attempt to save money this holiday was using my yogurt maker - I can't believe we don't get paid for another week.  I think mine cost about £20.  It reminded me of my mum's.  It's a 50p yogurt mixed with a 49p litre of UHT skimmed milk and a spoonful of skimmed milk powder. I had frozen fruit coulis in the freezer made of strawberries from the garden, icing sugar and lemon juice.

As long as I can keep eating from the freezer for the next week, then all will be well.  Oh and just the essays to mark. Jack Monroe will keep me going.




No comments:

Post a Comment