Wednesday 14 February 2018

The thrifty girl's guide to love.

Happy Valentine's Day. Or not. My husband and I don't believe in Valentine's Day. That is to say my husband believes it is more appropriate to show me that he loves me every day of the year and will not be constrained by a single day of the year to buy me an over priced rose because that is the day that has been designated as love day by the card companies.

I have never been drawn to romantic men and really am a bit cynical about all that rubbish. It doesn't seem terribly appropriate for a feminist to demand gifts from her male partner. I don't really want a big card. Or a teddy. Or flowers. Or chocolates . In a red box.

In fact my husband and I have systematically avoided celebrating Valentine's Day since we were married. (I can't remember if we experienced any Valentine's Days before we married.) And it turns out that Alf knows exactly how to please me, and that is to do it on a budget. It would appear that the one thing that makes me happier than a box of chocolates is a free box of chocolates, so this is how it happened this year.

1 Valentine's Day was during half term. That means that Mum and Dad could have the kids; Pip, Rex and even Max who generally believes he is too old for that rubbish.
2 I booked a hotel on Groupon. Two nights and checking out on Valentine's Day. With breakfast which is the way to my husband's heart.
3 We had coffee at Cafe Nero free with Nectar points.
4 Dinner was at the best Indian restaurant I may have ever visited at The Viceroy. With 2 for 1 on tastecard which is free for 3 months trial.
5 Pizza was free the next day with Wuntu the three app with my mobile phone.

So I know I'm broke and I still have 2 weeks of the month left with no real prospect of any more income, but even if I were out of debt and earning twice as much, I honestly don't think I'd be happier with a bunch of flowers and a huge card than I am with a man who appreciates me appreciating a free lunch. Next week we'll go for Pizza at Pizza Express with my Tesco vouchers. That is my sort of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment